Navigation

Monday, April 1, 2019

Log 11


Today I'm gonna talk about the creation and conception of Ray Ryder Myles and the evolution of my comic through out the year.


Myles is the oldest character I made, it went back to I was in grade school. Of course all drawings from around grade to junior high has gone (or just too many to include) and there's not much story in it. In high school, however, I made Myles' first back story and such.




At that time, Myles didn't have a name and just simply addressed as "The Narrator" (it was also a shout out to Fight Club). The story was about The Narrator, a flunked out, snarky, just all around miserable student who fights her (yes she, we'll get to it later on) way to solve the mystery in her school in order to escape the time loop.

Looking at it again the plot kinda seems like Happy Death Day, but really it wasn't an intentional shout out, I made these on 2012, while Happy Death Day was released in 2017. The whole thing actually inspired by RPG horror game, especially Ib, it was the time where RPG horror become so popular.

I manage to make it into a comic which I published on Manga Magazine (which already shut down).





circa 2012

The art style was heavily inspired by Sin City and the trope Splash of Color, everything else is in black and white sans anything the supposed to be red (The Narrator's uniform, rose petals, blood, etc).

Then something happen .... I can't really remember but I revamped the story to be something different. This time is about The Narrator (yes still no name yet) who's like an executioner at some prestigious, abnormal school with level system that may or may not be just secret bureau in disguise as a school (phew).




circa 2014

If you notice, the second picture was colored by my friend Rae! It was really such a golden age for me and my friends to make comics.

At this version The Narrator is supposed to be a humanoid alien that is genderless, but just decides to wear female grade school uniform because it's red (the splash of color trope still applied in this version). But then, some people doesn't want to get that The Narrator is genderless, they insist that they're a girl because they wear skirts. 

Before we get to the next version I have something I wanna tell you first.

One time I tweeted that my alien OC is non binary, then one user came up to me saying along the line "this OC is non binary .... but hey, NOT HUMAN". As if I was saying that non binary people are not people .... So I had to correct it again and stated that my OC is genderless as in like the gems in Houzeki no Kuni, it was very scary.

Okay, now let's see the next version.




circa 2016

In this version Myles already given a name! But just haven't been properly introduce since I'm not really a fan of  giving "name stickers" on each characters that would appear. Here Myles' species also change from alien to angel and their role become more clear that is become Jeff's "inciting incidents".

The art style still have the previous one's touch; monochrome with splash of colors. Here the colors are mostly on the background to show the mood of the situation and/ or the character

The story revolves around Myles being Jeff's guardian angel, but here, why Myles become his guardian angel is still unknown/ not stated yet. But here Jeff really, I mean really hates Myles, Myles just wants to help him...  in their own way.

Now onto the next version which the newest and the one I'm working at the moment.




circa 2019

This one was supposed to be the third chapter of the 2016 version, but then I thought that the story on 2016 version was so... cluttered, blame my high school self. So I decided to just revamp it, again. As you can see here, it's full color! Though background still just solid color that represent the mood.

Here Myles' name and role is introduced properly right in the first chapter to avoid any confusion. And of course their pronouns, although if you really confuses on what's their pronoun you can check my characters' page. In universe they are addressed with either 'they' or 'it', but 'it' is impolite and dehumanizing, so don't use it.

And that's all folks! See you in the next OC talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment